As part of a new series, we’re stepping outside the doors of Toronto’s convention centres, meeting spaces, and hotels to explore some of the new and noteworthy spots to check out!
So, you’re going to a conference at the Metro Toronto Convention Centre. Think that means you won’t have a chance to see anything else in Toronto? Here are 5 things within a 5-minute walk from the MTCC that you can check out during a break or after the conference.
- Indulge Farmer’s Market (David Pecaut Square at Wellington & John Street). Get a little taste of the country in the heart of the city at David Pecaut Square. Every Thursday from May until October, hundreds come to the square to pick up local fruits and vegetables, grab lunch and baked goods from the many food vendors, and listen to live music.
- Deq Terrace and Lounge (181 Wellington Street West). When the day is done you’re only minutes away from a refreshing, hand-crafted cocktail with stunning surroundings. Head north to DEQ, an urban terrace with an open-air firepit and a view of Simcoe Park and the CN Tower.
- Woodpecker Column. Just outside the south entrance to the MTCC, look up to check out the Woodpecker Column, a 1997 sculpture by Dai Skuse and Kim Kozzi from the Canadian artist collective, FASTWURMS. The giant pair of woodpeckers, perched on the side of a 30-metre tall column full of holes, adds a little nature and whimsy to the downtown core.
- Steam Whistle Brewing Roundhouse (255 Bremner Boulevard). Just steps away from the MTCC is the Steam Whistle Brewing Roundhouse. The former Canadian Pacific Railway repair house was built in 1929. Note the 120-foot turntable to get cars in and out. Today, the red-brick structure is home to one of the city’s best local breweries, known for its Pilsner.
- Lick It (250 Queens Quay West). Head south for a cool, tasty treat at Lick It. It features freshly made gelato flavours every day, from decadent chocolate hazelnut to refreshing lemon rosemary. Walk across the street to the WaveDecks and watch the planes take off from the island airport while you enjoy your delicious scoops.